Kennon H. Nakamura & Matthew C. Weed, U.S. Public Diplomacy: Background and Current Issues (CRS Report R40989) (Dec. 18, 2009) (full-text).
The body of this report is divided into five sections.
- The first section provides background information on U.S. public diplomacy, its legislative foundations, and the history of modern U.S. public diplomacy including the former USIA.
- The second section discusses the abolishment of USIA and the transfer of its functions to the Department of State.
- The third section discusses the current structure of public diplomacy within the Department of State as well as its budget and personnel levels.
- The fourth section gives a detailed overview of some of the major related policy issues and perceived challenges to the effectiveness of U.S. public diplomacy, and proposed reforms and solutions.
- The fifth section describes proposed legislation intended to reform and improve U.S. public diplomacy.