The Scottish Information Commissioner is a public official appointed by Her Majesty The Queen on the nomination of the Scottish Parliament. He is responsible for enforcing and promoting Scotland's freedom of information laws, namely:
- The Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002
- The Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004
- The INSPIRE (Scotland) Regulations 2009
The Scottish Information Commissioner:
- investigates applications and issues legally enforceable decisions;
- promotes good practice amongst public authorities; and
- provides the public with information on their rights.