Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, RFID Applications, Impacts and Country Initiatives, OECD Digital Economy Paper No. 144 (Apr. 18, 2008) (full-text).
Eight major fields of RFID application are analysed in this study, comprising:
- asset utilisation, where mobile assets are tagged for their use along the supply chain;
- asset monitoring and maintenance, where mostly fixed and high value assets are tagged to store information, e.g. for maintenance purposes;
- item flow control in processes, where RFID tags are attached to items which are moving along the supply chain;
- inventory audit, for example in warehouses where pallets are tagged to improve the speed and efficiency of stock taking;
- theft control;
- authentication to provide secure identification mechanisms for persons and objects;
- payment systems to secure transactions; and
- automatic display of information where items are tagged to provide additional information on products and services when read.
Country initiatives are divided into three main categories: i) the use of RFID by the public sector; ii) information, awareness and education programmes; and iii) incentives for business R&D and public funding of projects.