- Any person and any for-profit or nonprofit entity, organization, or association;
- Any governmental entity for which there is no existing specific law authorizing access to a government agency's information;
- Media organizations; and
- Entities that seek, receive, or disseminate information for whatever reason, regardless of whether it is done with the intent of making a profit, and without distinction as to the nature or intent of those requesting information from the agency.
Public does not include:
- Employees of a government agency;
- People or entities, private or governmental, who assist the agency in the operation of the justice information system, and agency in the operation of the justice information system; and
- Public agencies whose authority to access information gathered and retained by the agency is specified in law.