The Direction was made under section 171 of the Broadcasting Services Act 1992. The direction instructs the ACMA to investigate developments in internet filtering technologies and other safety initiatives to protect consumers, including minors, who access content on the internet, having regard to:
- developments in internet filtering technologies deployable on ISP servers, on home computers and on mobile phones
- how filtering is currently deployed at each of these levels in other countries
- legislative and administrative developments in other countries designed to promote safe and appropriate use of the internet by minors
- contextual considerations that might impact on the relevance to Australia of the experience of other countries
- the challenges for internet content filtering and other internet safety initiatives posed by new technologies and platforms that permit high levels of user-generated content and social interaction.