Computer security Edit
|“|| the process of hardening a system or service so that it is less vulnerable to compromise and exploitation. For example, on many systems, prevention may involve:
|“||[a]ctions to avoid an incident or to intervene to stop an incident from occurring. Prevention involves actions to protect lives and property. It involves applying intelligence and other information to a range of activities that may include such countermeasures as deterrence operations; heightened inspections; improved surveillance and security operations; investigations to determine the full nature and source of the threat; public health and agricultural surveillance and testing processes; immunizations, isolation, or quarantine; and, as appropriate, specific law enforcement operations aimed at deterring, pre-empting, interdicting, or disrupting illegal activity and apprehending potential perpetrators and bringing them to justice.||”|
|“||[d]eveloping proper interdiction guidance for prevention activities. Prevention activities include bi-directional information sharing within the IT and communications sectors, and with government (Federal, state and local) and international agencies.||”|
National security Edit
|“||[a]ctions taken and measures put in place for the continual assessment and readiness of necessary actions to reduce the risk of threats and vulnerabilities, to intervene and stop an occurrence, or to mitigate effects.||”|
|“||[t]hose capabilities necessary to avoid, prevent, or stop a threatened or actual act of terrorism.||”|
- ↑ U.S. Anti-Bot Code of Conduct (ABCs) for Internet Service Providers (ISPs), at 24.
- ↑ National Cyber Incident Response Plan, at M-3.
- ↑ Cybersecurity Collaboration Report: Strengthening Government and Private Sector Collaboration Through a Cyber Incident Detection, Prevention, Mitigation, and Response Capability, at A-2.
- ↑ Blueprint for a Secure Cyber Future: The Cybersecurity Strategy for the Homeland Security Enterprise, Glossary, at D-4.
- ↑ ICS-CERT, Common Cyber Security Language (full-text).