Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
An online game is
|“||any computer-based game played over the Internet including PC, console and wireless games.||”|
There are four main types of online game:
- Classic board and card games, mostly offered by Web portals such as Yahoo, MSN and AOL. The Internet enables two or more players to play games such as Poker, Bridge and Chess, use online chats and keep ranking and scores.
- PC or console games with network options, where the online option is mainly a supplement to keep scores, download patches and updates.
- Multiplayer games (the most developed is the massively multiplayer online game (MMORPG)) are persistent games where players play individually or in teams in a virtual evolving world. New MMORPGs are also being developed building on user creativity. An example is Second Life, where users create the game, develop characters, objects and so on, and developers mainly manage the game and provide creative tools.
- Entertainment games that provide a platform for other types of learning, training and interactive applications. Private industry collaboration and government initiatives are exploring a variety of game techniques in other applications.
- "Overview" section: Digital Broadband Content: The Online Computer and Video Game Industry, at 10.