Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Helping the Department shape policy in ways that are mindful of civil rights and civil liberties by providing proactive advice, evaluation and reviewing a wide range of technical, legal and policy issues;
- Investigating and resolving complaints filed by the public regarding departmental policies or actions taken by departmental personnel;
- Providing leadership to the Department's equal employment opportunity programs; and
- Engaging with the public regarding these issues.
Complaint investigations Edit
CRCL investigates complaints under 6 U.S.C. §345 and 42 U.S.C. §2000ee-1, which require the DHS Officer for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties to:
- Review and assess information alleging abuses of civil rights, civil liberties, and racial, ethnic, or religious profiling;
- Oversee compliance with constitutional, statutory, regulatory, policy, and other requirements relating to the civil rights or civil liberties of individuals affected by the programs and activities of the Department;
- Investigate complaints and information indicating possible abuses of civil rights or civil liberties, unless the Inspector General of the Department determines that any such complaint or information should be investigated by the Inspector General; and
- Periodically investigate and review department, agency, or element actions, policies, procedures, guidelines, and related laws and their implementation to ensure that such department, agency, or element is adequately considering civil liberties in its actions.