National Intelligence Officers' (NIOs) primary functions are to:
- Advise the Director of National Intelligence
- Interact regularly with senior intelligence consumers and support their current and longer-term needs
- Produce top-quality estimative intelligence in a process that is efficient and responsive
- Engage with outside experts to tap their knowledge and insights
- Help assess the capabilities and needs of IC analytic producers
- Promote collaboration among IC analytic producers on strategic warning, advanced analytic tools, and methodologies, and
- Articulate substantive priorities to guide intelligence collection, evaluation, and procurement.