The Joint Technical Committee 1 (JTC 1)
|“||was formed in 1987 by the merger of ISO Technical Committee 97 and International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Technical Committees 47B and 83 to avoid development of possibly incompatible information technology standards by ISO and IEC.||”|
- Design and development of IT systems and tools;
- Performance and quality of IT products and systems;
- Security of IT systems and information;
- Portability of application programs;
- Interoperability of IT products and systems;
- Unified tools and environments;
- Harmonized IT vocabulary; and
- User-friendly and ergonomically designed user interfaces.
- SC 06 - Telecommunications and Information Exchange Between Systems;
- SC 17 - Cards and Personal Identification;
- SC 27 - IT Security Techniques; and
- SC 37 – Biometrics
JTC 1 also has:
- Technical Committee 68 – Financial Services;
- SC 2 - Operations and Procedures, including Security;
- SC 4 – Securities;
- SC 6 - Financial Transaction Cards, Related Media and Operations;
- SC 7 – Software and Systems Engineering, and
- SC 38 – Distributed application platforms and services (DAPS).
- "Overview" section: NIST Special Publication 800-176, at 12-13.