Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In December 2006, the National Science and Technology Council of the Committee on Science established the Interagency Working Group on Digital Data (IWGDD). Nearly 30 agencies, offices, and councils were named as members or participants, reflecting the broad range of interests in digital scientific data. The purpose of the IWGDD is to "develop and promote the implementation of a strategic plan for the federal government to cultivate an open interoperable framework to ensure reliable preservation and effective access to digital data for research, development, and education in science, technology, and engineering."
The scope of activities for the IWGDD included:
- Developing a strategic plan for the federal government, working in partnership with other sectors, to enable reliable preservation of and effective access to digital data, appropriately protected, in science, technology, and engineering;
- Promoting the implementation of the strategic plan through coordination among federal agencies and through partnerships with other sectors;
- Developing strategic requirements for an open interoperable data framework;
- Promoting communications among developers and users of digital data for research, development, and education in science, technology, and engineering, to help ensure that their digital data needs are addressed;
- Assuring necessary international collaboration, access, and interoperability; and
- Ensuring that the activities of the IWGDD are informed by and not duplicative of the ongoing activities of other groups in areas such as electronic health care and electronic medical records.
The IWGDD produced a report titled Harnessing the Power of Digital Data for Science and Society.