Hacking (also computer hacking) is the unauthorized use of, or attempts to circumvent or bypass the security measures used by, a computer system or computer network. Hacking is one of oldest computer-related crimes.
Examples of hacking attacks include:
- Breaking the password of a password-protected website;
- Circumventing password protection on a computer;
- Exploiting a faulty hardware or software implementation to illegally obtain a password to access a [[computer system];
- Setting up spoofing websites to convince users to disclose their passwords; and
- Installing hardware- or software-based keylogging methods to record keystrokes, including any passwords used on that computer and/or device.
Historical usage Edit
"In the early years of IT development, the term 'hacking' was used to describe the attempt to get more out of a system (software or hardware) than it was designed for. Within this context, the term 'hacking' was often used to describe a constructive activity."