Following the model of the global FIRST organization, the Federal interagency community established the Government Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (GFIRST) to facilitate interagency information sharing and cooperation across Federal agencies for readiness and response efforts.
GFIRST is a group of technical and tactical security response team practitioners who are responsible for securing government IT systems. The members work together to understand and deal with computer security incidents and to encourage proactive and preventive security practices.
The purpose of the GFIRST peer group is to
- provide members with technical information, tools, methods, assistance and guidance
- coordinate proactive liaison activities and analytical support
- further the development of quality products and services for the federal government
- share specific technical details regarding incidents within a trusted U.S. government environment on a peer-to-peer level
- improve incident response operations