The following are the GAO reports published in 1981 that are discussed in this wiki (in reverse chronological order). Those Reports that have already been summarized are in blue; those that have not yet been summarized are in red.
- Government Operations: Major System Acquisition Management in the Department of Justice (GGD-82-18) (Dec. 29, 1981).
- Solving Social Security Computer Problems: Solving Social Security's Computer Problems: Comprehensive Corrective Action Plan and Better Management Needed (HRD-82-19) (Dec. 10, 1981).
- Information Technology: The Bureau of the Census Must Solve ADP Acquisition and Security Problems (AFMD-82-13; B-205133) (Oct. 21, 1981).
- Information Technology: The World Wide Military Command and Control Information System - Problems in Information Resource Management (MASAD-82-2) (Oct. 19, 1981).
- Auditing and Financial Management: Federal Agencies Still Need to Develop Greater Computer Audit Capabilities (AFMD-82-7) (Oct. 16, 1981).
- Business Regulation and Consumer Protection: Misuse of SBA's 8(a) Program Increased Cost for Many ADP Equipment Acquisitions (AFMD-82-9; B-198898) (Oct. 16, 1981).
- Information Technology: Non-Federal Computer Acquisition Practices Provide Useful Information for Streamlining Federal Methods (AFMD-81-104) (Oct. 2, 1981).
- Justice and Law Enforcement: Procedures To Safeguard Social Security Beneficiary Records Can Still Be Improved (HRD-81-157; B-200202) (Sept. 30, 1981).
- Justice and Law Enforcement: State Field Offices Are Not Protecting Social Security Beneficiary Information From Potential Abuse and/or Misuse (HRD-81-151; B-200202) (Sept. 30, 1981).
- Telecommunications: Legislative and Regulatory Actions Needed To Deal With a Changing Domestic Telecommunications Industry (CED-81-136; B-203706) (Sept. 24, 1981).
- Automatic Data Processing Problems at the Social Security Administration (118089) (Sept. 23, 1981).
- Veterans: The Veteran Administration's Efforts To Consolidate Computer Programming Resources at a Single Location (HRD-81-148; B-204572) (Sept. 18, 1981).
- Software Used in Medical Devices Needs Better Controls To Avoid Compromising Patient Safety (AFMD-81-95; B-204011) (Aug. 5, 1981).
- FAA Communications Equipment Replacement Plans (81-37; B-200622) (July 29, 1981).
- Government Operations: Fragmented Management Hinders GSA Ability To Acquire Internal ADP Resources (AFMD-81-74; B-200948) (July 28, 1981).
- The Use of Obsolescent Computers Involves Unnecessary Costs and Problems (July 23, 1981).
- Independent Regulatory Agencies Can Reduce Paperwork Burden on Industry (July 7, 1981).
- Justice and Law Enforcement: Comments on Proposed FPR Subpart (B-203515) (AFMD-81-70) (July 6, 1981).
- Information Technology: HHS Ability To Effectively Implement Incentive Funding for State Information Systems in the Aid to Families With Dependent Children Program (HRD-81-119) (June 29, 1981).
- Financial Markets and Institutions: Bank Secrecy Act Reporting Requirements Have Not Yet Met Expectations, Suggesting Need for Amendment (GGD-81-80; B-199000) (July 23, 1981).
- Implementation of Bank Secrecy Act's Reporting Requirements (July 23, 1981).
- Telecommunications: Greater Use of Satellite Telecommunications To Link ADP Facilities Could Save Millions (EMD-81-102; B-203691) (June 19, 1981).
- Department of Agriculture Needs Leadership In Managing Its Information Resources (CED-81-116) (June 19, 1981).
- Transportation: FAA Air Traffic Control Computer Modernization Program (June 17, 1981).
- Justice and Law Enforcement: Operation of the Copyright Royalty Tribunal (June 11, 1981).
- Auditing and Financial Management: Achieving Greater Economies in Data Processing in Federal Government (June 10, 1981).
- Achieving Greater Economies in Data Processing in Federal Government (June 10, 1981).
- Computer-Related Fraud: Current Issues and Directions (June 8, 1981).
- Assessing Reliability of Computer Output: Audit Guide (AFMD-81-91) (June 1, 1981).
- Space: Implementing a Data Handling Policy for Space Science Flight Investigations (MASAD-81-34; B-203317) (May 29, 1981).
- Information Management: Views of GAO on the Information Resources Management Principles Established by the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1980 (May 20, 1981).
- The Environmental Protection Agency Needs to Better Control Its Growing Paperwork Burden on the Public (GGD-81-40) (May 15, 1981).
- Justice and Law Enforcement: Information Technology: Better Management Needed in Automating the Federal Judiciary (GGD-81-19) (Apr. 2, 1981).
- Information Technology: Online Access to Legislative Information (Mar. 25, 1981).
- Budget and Spending: Service Contract Act Should Not Apply to Service Employees of ADP and High-Technology Companies - A Supplement (HRD-80-102(A); B-200149) (Mar. 25, 1981).
- Government Operations: Securities and Exchange Commission Should Improve Procurement Practices for Market Surveillance System Development (AFMD-81-17; B-199434) (Mar. 6, 1981).
- The Trucking Industry’s Federal Paperwork Burden Should Be Reduced (GGD-81-32) (Mar. 3, 1981).
- Federal Agencies' Maintenance of Computer Programs: Expensive and Undermanaged (AFMD-81-25) (Feb. 26, 1981).
- National Defense: Evaluation of Defense Attempts To Manage Battlefield Intelligence Data (LCD-81-23) (Feb. 24, 1981).
- Federal Records Management: A History of Neglect (201157) (Feb. 24, 1981).
- National Defense: Better Software Planning Needed at the Air Force's Global Weather Central (AFMD-81-24; B-197338) (Feb. 24, 1981).
- Information Technology: Government-Wide Guidelines and Management Assistance Center Needed To Improve ADP Systems Development (AFMD-81-20) (Feb. 20, 1981).
- Implications of Electronic Mail for the Postal Service's Work Force (GGD-81-30; B-114874) (Feb. 6, 1981).
- Information Technology: Social Security Needs To Better Plan, Develop, and Implement Its Major ADP Systems Redesign Projects (HRD-81-47) (Feb. 6, 1981).