FEPP's primary areas of inquiry are:
- Restrictions on publicly funded expression in libraries, museums, schools, universities, and arts and humanities agencies;
- Internet filters, rating systems, and other measures that restrict access to information and ideas in the digital age;
- Restrictive copyright laws, digital rights management, and other imbalances in the intellectual property system;
- Mass media consolidation, public access to the airwaves, and other issues of media democracy; and
- Censorship designed to shield adolescents and children from controversial art, information, and ideas.
FEPP publications include: