Data Privacy and Integrity Advisory Committee, Framework for Privacy Analysis of Programs, Technologies, and Applications (Report No. 2006-01) (Mar. 7, 2006) (full-text).
The Framework sets for five steps for analyzing Department of Homeland Security programs, technology, and applications in light of their effects on privacy interests. They are:
- Determining the purpose or scope of the program.
- Review the legal authority and limits of the program.
- Understanding the efficacy of the program.
- Analyze the privacy interests implicated by the program.
- Develop recommendations for privacy protections.