Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC), Federal Health Information Technology Strategic Plan 2011–2015 (Nov. 10, 2011) (full-text).
This Plan reflects a coordinated strategy between the public and private sector to improve the quality, efficiency, safety and patient-centeredness of health care. The Plan aims to improve health and health care for all Americans through the use of information and technology. The government will work to implement the plan in accordance with Federal Health IT Principles:
- Put individuals and their interests first
- Be a worthy steward of the country's money and trust
- Support health IT benefits for all
- Focus on outcomes
- Build boldly on what works
- Encourage innovation.
The goals of the Plan are to:
- Achieve adoption and information exchange through meaningful use of health IT
- Improve care, improve population health, and reduce health care costs through the use of health IT
- Inspire confidence and trust in health IT
- Empower individuals with health IT to improve their health and the health care system
- Achieve rapid learning and technological advancement.