The President issued Executive Order 12931 "to ensure effective and efficient spending of public funds through fundamental reforms in Government procurement." Among its provisions, this order requires agencies to:
- Ensure that procurement organizations set goals, measure results, and meet customer needs.
- Designate an agency procurement executive to oversee the development of procurement goals and guidelines, measure and evaluate performance against goals, and enhance the career development of the acquisition workforce.
- Provide Government purchase cards to users to take advantage of FASA's micro-purchase authority.
- Use simplified acquisition procedures, when applicable.
- Buy commercial products, emphasize contractors' past performance, and promote best value.
- Replace rules, reporting requirements, certifications, and other administrative practices that are not required by statute with guiding principles that reward innovation.