- Products on the EPL are certified for specific purposes and specific security levels.
- Products on the EPL may be used to build secure systems and networks as described in the Australian Government Information Security Manual (ISM).
- Products are certified against the internationally-recognised ISO 15408 Common Criteria (CC). The CC Portal lists other products with mutually-recognised certification.
- DSD's certification office, the Australasian Certification Authority, oversees the Australasian Information Security Evaluation Programme (AISEP) that administers product testing by licensed commercial evaluation facilities.
- The EPL also lists DSD's cryptographic evaluations.