The European Research Cluster on the Internet of Things (IERC) was established as part of Europe’s ambition to shape a future Internet of Things for its businesses and citizens. It is managed by the unit "Networked Enterprise and RFID" of the DG Information Society and Media.
Originally, the cluster was founded in 2007 with the aim to reinforce the research on Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) in Europe. The cluster created a systematic portfolio with 14 programs, including technical, social, and organizational themes.
Today the objectives of the cluster are to:
- facilitate networking of different RFID and IoT-related projects in Europe,
- coordinate research activities among these projects,
- assure coherence of work in Europe,
- leverage expertise, talents, and resources and maximize impact,
- establish synergies between the involved projects.
IERC will facilitate knowledge sharing at the global level and will encourage and exchange best practice and new business models that are emerging in different parts of the world. In this way, measures accompanying research and innovation efforts are considered to assess the impact of the Internet of Things at global and industrial level, as well as at the organisational level.