Environmental Protection Agency, Office of the Inspector General, EPA Needs to Determine What Barriers Prevent Water Systems from Securing Known Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Vulnerabilities (Jan. 2005) (full-text).
This Report identified several reasons why vulnerabilities have not been addressed:
- Current technological limitations may impede implementing security measures.
- Companies may not be able to afford or justify the required investment.
- Utilities may not be able to conduct background checks on existing employees.
- Officials may not permit SCADA penetration testing.
- Technical engineers may have difficulty communicating security needs to management.