|“||the study of mathematical techniques for attempting to defeat cryptographic techniques and information system security. This includes the process of looking for errors or weaknesses in the implementation of an algorithm or of the algorithm itself.||”|
|“||[t]he study of encrypted texts. The steps or processes involved in converting encrypted text into plain text without initial knowledge of the key employed in the encryption.||”|
Cryptanalysis refers to:
|“||[o]perations performed in converting encrypted messages to plain text without initial knowledge of the crypto-algorithm and/or key employed in the encryption. ||”|
|“||[t]he steps and operations performed in converting encrypted messages into plain text without initial knowledge of the key employed in the encryption.||”|
|“||the analysis of a cryptographic system or its inputs and outputs to derive confidential variables or sensitive data, including clear text.||”|
- ↑ NIST Special Publication 800-57.
- ↑ NATO Standardization Agency, NATO Glossary of Terms and Definitions 2-C-20 (2008) (full-text).
- ↑ OPSEC Glossary of Terms.
- ↑ U.S. Department of Defense, Joint Pub. 1–02: DOD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms (Nov. 8, 2010, as amended through May 15, 2011) (full-text).
- ↑ U.S. Export Administration Regulations, Part 772 (15 C.F.R. §772.1).