The Critical Infrastructure Protection Committee (CIPC) was formed to help the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) advance the physical security and cybersecurity of the critical electricity infrastructure of North America. CIPC is responsible for:
- Coordinating and communicating with organizations responsible for physical security and cybersecurity in all electricity industry segments and other critical infrastructure sectors, as appropriate;
- Liaising with governments on critical infrastructure protection (CIP) matters;
- Coordinating with the other NERC committees and working groups to ensure the highest degree of collaboration possible;
- Establishing and maintaining an information-reporting procedure for CIP among industry segments and with governments, as appropriate;
- Developing, periodically reviewing, and revising (as appropriate) security guidelines;
- Assisting in the development and implementation of NERC Reliability Standards; and
- Conducting forums and workshops related to the scope of CIPC.