Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Counterfeit Access Device and Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1984, Pub. L. No. 98-473, 98 Stat. 2190 (1984), codified at 18 U.S.C. §§1029-30.
As amended, the Act
- Provides criminal penalties, including asset forfeiture, for unauthorized access and wrongful use of computers and networks of the federal government or financial institutions, or in interstate or foreign commerce or communication;
- Specifies wrongful use as obtaining protected information, damaging or threatening to damage a computer, using the computer to commit fraud, trafficking in stolen computer passwords, and espionage;
- Criminalized electronic trespassing on and exceeding authorized access to federal government computers; and
- Created a statutory exemption for intelligence and law enforcement activities.
- ↑ The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 expanded the scope of the original Act. For government computers, it criminalized electronic trespassing, exceeding authorized access, and destroying information. It also criminalized trafficking in stolen computer passwords and created a statutory exemption for intelligence and law enforcement activities.