The Community Open Source Program Office (COSPO) is responsible for the definition and defense of the Open Source Program. The Director of the COSPO is appointed by the Director of Central Intelligence.
- Oversee a process for coordinating responsive actions to satisfy user needs
- Provide advocacy and defense of departmental development and operational efforts
- Ensure funds for critical open source activities
- Oversee a process for identifying and prioritizing open source substantive requirements
Functions of the COSPO include:
- Strategic Planning
- Program Formulation and Representation
- Initiative and Innovation Sponsorship
- Operational Services of Common Concern
- Systems Architecture
- Development of Services of Common Concern
- Open Source Advocacy and Representation
- Director of Central Intelligence Directive 2/12, Community Open Source Program (Mar. 1, 1994) (full-text).