The California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology (CALIT2) represents a new mechanism to address large-scale societal issues by bringing together multidisciplinary teams in a way that had been impossible earlier.
Calit2 takes ideas beyond theory into practice, accelerates innovation and shortens the time to product development and job creation. Where the university traditionally has focused on education and research, Calit2 extends that focus to include development and deployment of prototype infrastructure for testing new solutions in a real-world context.
Calit2 represents an experiment in inventing the university research environment of the future to continue to fuel innovation in the global economy. It
- Builds horizontal links among departments to foster multidisciplinary studies.
- Creates research teams consisting of members who can be located anywhere because of the Internet.
- Supports involvement by faculty, students, industry, government, and community partners.
- Enables prototyping in Calit2 "living laboratories."
- Provides technical professionals as the bridge between academia and industry.