United States Edit
The Better Business Bureau's (BBB) mission is to be the leader in advancing marketplace trust. BBB accomplishes this mission by:
- Creating a community of trustworthy businesses
- Setting standards for marketplace trust
- Encouraging and supporting best practices
- Celebrating marketplace role models, and;
- Denouncing substandard marketplace behavior
BBB sees trust as a function of two primary factors — integrity and performance. Integrity includes respect, ethics and intent. Performance speaks to a business’s track record of delivering results in accordance with BBB standards and/or addressing customer concerns in a timely, satisfactory manner.
in 2000, the Bureau developed a Code of Online Business Practices designed to guide ethical "business-to-customer" conduct in e-commerce. It also established an online reliability seal program, which allows consumers to “click to check” whether a company is an accredited business that abides by the BBB’s standards.