INTERPOL's African Regional Working Party on Information Technology Crime was formed in 2005. The group has agreed on following objectives:
- Developing and making expertise available for combating IT crime in the region and inter-regional
- Develop and enhance partnerships with organizations, which deal with IT crime
- Establish, co-ordinate and promote the use of best practices in investigation and prevention of IT crime
- Increase information flow within the regional Computer Crime units
- Promotion of operating procedures standardization in the African region.
The group also agreed on following project:
- To run an awareness program for the top management level for African countries and regional police organizations and to start targeting all African countries with information on IT crime on a regular basis. The Heads of CIDs should be invited to the next meeting of the group to formulate a plan of action to deploy Cyber Crime Units.