Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Commonwealth of Australia, National Office for the Information Economy, A Strategic Framework for the Information Economy (Dec. 1998) (not available online).
This report set out the Australian government's strategy for the information economy. The government's policy approach to consumer protection gave preference to industry self-regulation over government intervention. The Australian government gave a number of advantages to self-regulation, including its ability to:
- provide flexibility in promoting "best practice" in industry rather than minimal compliance with legal requirements;
- foster industry innovation;
- be designed for the specific requirements of an industry;
- result in lower compliance costs on business;
- provide quick, low-cost dispute resolution procedures that are favored by both consumers and business; and
- be combined with other forms of regulation, allowing for a mix of regulatory approaches.