ATP 2-22.9 establishes a common understanding, foundational concepts, and methods of use for U.S. Army open-source intelligence (OSINT). ATP 2-22.9 highlights the characterization of OSINT as an intelligence discipline, its interrelationship with other intelligence disciplines, and its applicability to unified land operations.
This publication —
- Provides fundamental principles and terminology for Army units that conduct OSINT exploitation.
- Discusses tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTP) for Army units that conduct OSINT exploitation.
- Provides a catalyst for renewing and emphasizing Army awareness of the value of publicly available information and open sources.
- Establishes a common understanding of OSINT.
- Develops systematic approaches to plan, prepare, collect, and produce intelligence from publicly available information from open sources.