Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The "APEC Privacy Framework" promotes a flexible approach to information privacy protection across APEC member economies, while avoiding the creation of unnecessary barriers to information flows. The framework:
- Improves information sharing among government agencies and regulators;
- Facilitates the safe transfer of information between economies;
- Establishes a common set of privacy principles;
- Encourages the use of electronic data as a means to enhance and expand business; and
- Provides technical assistance to those economies that have yet to address privacy from a regulatory or policy perspective.
The nine principles in the APEC Privacy Framework are preventing harm, notice, collection limitations, uses of personal information, choice, integrity of personal information, security safeguards, access and correction, accountability. Businesses have developed a code of conduct based on these nine principles and will obtain third-party certification of their compliance. A network of privacy enforcement authorities from participating APEC economies, such as the FTC, will be able to take enforcement actions against companies that violate their commitments under the code of conduct.