It was created in 2002 and is operated by Societe Internationale de Telecommunications Aeronautiques SC (SITA). There is also a Dot Aero Council created and controlled by SITA.
The .aero domain is reserved for companies, organizations, associations, government agencies, and individuals in aviation and related industries. As such, just like .com one can register any site under .aero, as long as one states at registration time for the .aero ID that one has something to do with aviation.
Currently, two-letter codes under .aero are reserved for airlines according to the IATA Airline Designators, while three-letter codes are reserved for airports, according to the IATA airport codes.
The .aero domain name was approved for a 5-year term expiring December 17, 2006 as part of a "proof of concept" of new TLDs. SITA has applied for renewal of this agreement. The agreement was extended in October 2006 for another six month term until June 17, 2007 and again in June 2007 until December 17, 2007.
- ↑ http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/aero/sponsorship-amendment2-17may07.pdf
- ↑ http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/aero/sponsorship-amendment3-04may07.pdf
- IANA .aero WHOIS info
- Registry Operator website
- List of .aero accredited registrars
- Dot Aero Council
- SITA's proposal for renewal of its agreement with ICANN for .aero
- Public comments on the .aero renewal proposal
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|